One writer writes at 250 word post/story/fragment and then tags the next writer, etc., etc. We can write whatever we want, so long as our posts begin with the last line of the previous post and are linked to a central them; in this case, “Transformation.” Kind of like a track and field relay–except we’re writin’ it!
Was it worth it? she asked after I had dressed, as if a person stopped being vulnerable once his body was covered. She’d stayed purposefully naked. I picked up her clothes, and held them away from her without effect. It was more for myself—in my hand, I could smell her perfume.
You said you would keep a secret? I said. I couldn’t get my sentences to stay down.
She smiled her lopsided smile. It was that slant to her lips, one side weighted slightly with the past, that had made me believe her in the first place. I had seen smiles like that on the dying, on their visitors after they passed away, as if the weight was like Newton said, always balancing out.
I had picked her up outside the hospital by pretending to be a doctor; I could convince anyone of how numb I was.
She said, I told myself I would keep your secret if I didn’t like you, but now there’s a problem.
Because you like me? I said.
Because you’re not fucked up enough to like me back.
I had a marriage somewhere I couldn’t remember just then, was what she was referring to. I had a headache as old as my ring.
I’m far worse off than you know, I said, feeling pitiful but not yet pitiful enough to change.
THE FULL LINE UP, IN ORDER (completed posts in bold)
- Christine Lee Zilka czilka.wordpress.com
- Nova Ren Suma novaren.wordpress.com
- Wah-Ming Chang wmcisnowhere.wordpress.com
- Nina LaCour ninalacour.com/blog
- Stephanie Brown scififanatic.livejournal.com
- Jamey Hatley jameyhatley.wordpress.com
- Matthew Salesses matthewsalesses.com
- Krystn Lee blog.kryslee.com
- Bryan Bliss bryanbliss.blogspot.com
- Start with the last line of the previous entry.
- Poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction all up for grabs.
- 250 words (you can fudge if artistic license requires)
- Thematically linked
- Link to the next person on the list, as well as those who posted before you.
- Post something within 4 or 5 days of the most recent piece.
- Posts should start with an explanation, with links to the previous posts as well as the next.